Monday, September 23, 2013

Changes

September is, increasingly for us, a month of changes. As the seasons shift from summer to fall the days, and especially the nights, are cooler. It's getting dark earlier. The kids have gone back to school. Karlye's mom moved to Rockford and Karlye is attending 6th grade at one of the middle schools there. Jordan started 5th grade at Rome Corners Intermediate School in Oregon. Sasha's still at Brooklyn Elementary, but first grade brings a new classroom, new teacher and new classmates. So far the kids are enjoying school and coping with the early mornings and more structured schedule just fine. I'm not loving the whole "waking up to an alarm clock again" deal, but I guess I don't really have a choice.




For us this is a month of both joy and sorrow. Tomorrow we will celebrate Karlye's 12th birthday, but today we pause to remember little Hailey who left us for heaven on this day four years ago. We pray for her parents, my sister Miriam and brother-in-law Eric, and for all who love and miss her. On September 11th  we commemorated the great losses our country suffered twelve years ago and we also celebrated my sister Lydia's birthday. Lydia happens to share a birthday with Jean Hellwig, the mother of one of my closest friends, who I have known for over half of my life. Four days ago, on September 19th, Jean entered her heavenly home. She was one of the most welcoming people I've ever met. Her love for, and dedication to her family was amazing. I know her passing has left a hole in many lives that can never be filled on this earth. We keep all of her family and friends in our prayers as well.

And so we say goodbye to summer, hello to fall. Goodbye to carefree days, late nights and sleeping in. Hello to schedules and routine. Goodbye to swimsuits, shorts and tank tops. Hello to jeans, jackets and backpacks. And to those we love and miss, we will remember you, until we meet again.


No comments: